Private industry paid $2.49 an hour for benefits in DecemberNews added by Benefits Pro on March 17, 2014
BenefitsPro

Benefits Pro

Joined: September 07, 2011

By Paula Aven Gladych

In December, it cost private industry $2.49 per hour worked to offer Social Security, retirement and savings benefits to employees, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Social Security accounted for $1.39 per hour, or 4.7 percent of total compensation, while retirement and savings benefits accounted for $1.10 per hour, or 3.7 percent of compensation.

Private industry employers spent an average of $29.63 per hour worked for total employee compensation in December, according to BLS. Wages and salaries averaged $20.76 per hour worked and accounted for 70.1 percent of these costs, while benefits averaged $8.87 and accounted for the remaining 29.9 percent.

Total compensation costs for state and local government workers averaged $42.89 per hour worked in December 2013. Total employer compensation costs for civilian workers, which include private industry and state and local government workers, averaged $31.57 per hour worked in December 2013.

According to the BLS, legally required benefits, such as Social Security and Medicare, are often directly linked to wages; therefore, higher paid occupations or industries will typically show higher cost estimates for this compensation component.

Private industry employer costs averaged $2.45 per hour worked for insurance benefits such as life, health and disability, or 8.3 percent of total compensation.

Originally published on BenefitsPro.com
The views expressed here are those of the author and not necessarily those of ProducersWEB.
Reprinting or reposting this article without prior consent of Producersweb.com is strictly prohibited.
If you have questions, please visit our terms and conditions
Post Press Release