Will PPACA decide fall elections?News added by Benefits Pro on July 3, 2014
BenefitsPro

Benefits Pro

Joined: September 07, 2011

My Company

By Kathryn Mayer

Could opposition to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act convince more Americans to vote Republican in the elections this coming fall?

That’s what a new survey suggests. Bankrate announced Wednesday that 68 percent of Americans polled said PPACA will play a role in how they vote in this year’s congressional races, with 44 percent saying it’s a “major factor” and 24 saying it’s a “minor factor.” Another quarter said it wasn’t a factor at all, while 7 percent were not sure or didn’t answer.

And of those that said PPACA will factor into their voting decisions, 32 percent said they’re more likely to vote Republican, while 26 percent said they’re more likely to vote Democrat. Independents were also much more likely to vote Republican in the upcoming elections due to PPACA, Bankrate found.

Though the survey results seem good news for Republicans, Bankrate says the survey results are not a complete win for either party. Analysts said it’s more of a contributing factor, rather than a game changer.

“Perhaps surprisingly, these results indicate that the messy launch of Obamacare won’t be as detrimental for Democrats or as much of a slam-dunk for Republicans in future elections as some analysts previously suggested,” said Bankrate.com insurance analyst Doug Whiteman.

Still, the latest survey by Bankrate, which polled more than 1,000 Americans on health insurance, reflects that both parties are not entirely pleased with PPACA.

Simply put, Americans are looking for changes to be made to PPACA in 2015. More than half (52 percent) would like to see the new Congress make minor or major changes to the law. And 30 percent of Americans want the new Congress to repeal PPACA completely, totaling 82 percent who want to change the law in some fashion. Only 12 percent of Americans want to keep the law exactly as it is now.

Interestingly, those aged 18-29 want Congress to make changes to PPACA more than any other age group.

Asked whether their individual health insurance situation is better or worse than a year ago, 16 percent said it has improved, twice the 8 percent who said so last August.

Bankrate analysis pointed to the increasing number of the nation's insured as the reason for this change. Gallup last month reported that the country’s uninsured rate is at a new low, currently sitting at about 13.4 percent.

Bankrate found that still, the majority — 61 percent — say their health insurance situation is “about the same” as it was a year ago.

“The fact that more Americans are saying their health insurance situation has improved, and fewer want to repeal the law than when we last asked in April, signals a positive turning point for the Affordable Care Act,” Whiteman said.

Originally published on BenefitsPro.com
The views expressed here are those of the author and not necessarily those of ProducersWEB.
Reprinting or reposting this article without prior consent of Producersweb.com is strictly prohibited.
If you have questions, please visit our terms and conditions
Post Press Release