While browsing the Internet today, I came across a slideshow called 10 Must-Read Books for Advisors. I’m a dyed-in-the-wool bibliophile and compulsive list reader, so I’m a sucker for things like this. It’s not enough that my own bookshelves are bulging and my Amazon wish list is pages long, I’m also extremely nosy about what others are reading. (Which explains my addiction to this fascinating blog
Yes, I’m that creepy guy that keeps discreetly (or maybe not so discreetly) trying to see your book cover when you’re waiting for your flight or browsing at Barnes and Noble. I’m not normally much of a people watcher, but nothing provides more insight into a person than the books they read.
This is equally true in the business environment. As I interview and chat with successful producers on a regular basis, they often bring up reading
and they’re always excited to share their favorite authors, books and magazines. Sometimes, they even blog about it
. Clearly, the best of the best are constantly learning from others and keeping current on the latest strategies and trends.
How about you? What are the books you’ve built your practice around? Which authors’ titles do you buy as soon as they’re released? Use the comment section below to create our own little advisors’ book club. Please keep it educational, not promotional. We’re looking your favorites, not a plug for your latest release. And if you want to throw in a few classics, some literary fiction or the latest beach read, you’ll get no arguments from me.
For reviews on the latest industry books, be sure to check out the Broker’s Bookcase
by Life Insurance Selling contributor Richard Hoe.
And in case your own Amazon wish list is looking a bit puny these days, here’s a few lists of top books for advisors from around the Web:
1. Storyselling for Financial Advisors: How Top Producers Sell
by Scott West and Mitch Anthony
2. The Million-Dollar Financial Advisor: Powerful Lessons and Proven Strategies from Top Producers
by David J. Mullen Jr.
3. The Million-Dollar Financial Services Practice: A Proven System for Becoming a Top Producer
by David J. Mullen Jr.
4. Questions Great Financial Advisors Ask... and Investors Need to Know
by Alan Parisse and David Richman
5. The Supernova Advisor: Crossing the Invisible Bridge to Exceptional Client Service and Consistent Growth
by Rob Knapp
6. The Art of Selling to the Affluent: How to Attract, Service, and Retain Wealthy Customers & Clients for Life
by Matt Oechsli
7. Networking with the Affluent
by Thomas J. Stanley
8. Tested in the Trenches: A 9-Step Plan for Building and Sustaining a Million-Dollar Financial Services Practice
by Ron Carson and Steve Sanduski
9. Ineffective Habits of Financial Advisors (and the Disciplines to Break Them): A Framework for Avoiding the Mistakes Everyone Else Makes by Steve Moore and Gary Brooks
10. Values-Based Financial Planning : The Art of Creating and Inspiring Financial Strategy by Bill Bachrach
Here are a couple of lists compiled by Amazon users:
Books for Insurance Agents
Your Complete Guide to Life Insurance
My Career Advisor Books List
And if you're pressed for time and need something shorter, here’s a list of top financial bloggers