Name and address changes for insurance licensingBlog added by Barb Donnar on March 18, 2014
Barb Donnar

Barb Donnar

Vincennes, IN

Joined: November 19, 2013

So you’ve gone through the process of obtaining insurance licensing in multiple non-resident states. It took a while, but you now have all the licenses you need. You have appointments with your carriers, and you’re all set to begin writing business. Nothing else needs to be done, right?

Most agents and adjusters don’t understand that the process is just beginning. The insurance licensing process isn’t over just because the insurance licenses have been issued. The licenses will need to be renewed every two or three years by submitting a renewal application and paying the renewal fee.

Address changes

In addition, if you have a change of address for either a home or business address, every state in which you hold insurance licensing will need to be notified of the new address. Most states require address changes to be submitted within 30 days. Address changes for agents can be completed via NIPR’s Address Change Request system.

The process becomes more difficult for insurance adjusters. If your home state issues adjuster licenses, then you can submit address changes via NIPR’s Address Change Request system. However, if you are an insurance adjuster and have a designated home state (DHS), you have to change addresses with each state's insurance department individually. Some states use state-based systems (SBS) for insurance licensing demographic changes; others have a system to submit changes via the state's website. The remaining states require a paper form to be completed and submitted to the insurance licensing department.

Name changes

Name changes are another situation that requires notification to each state. If you have a name change, check with the state insurance licensing department in every state in which you hold a license to determine the procedure necessary to change your name. In some states, name changes can be sent electronically. In others, you will need to download a form to be completed and sent to the state insurance licensing department. Several states simply require a letter notifying them of the name change.

As you can see, once you receive your insurance license the process has only just started. Keeping your license renewed and notifying the states of name and address changes are a critical part of the licensing puzzle.
The views expressed here are those of the author and not necessarily those of ProducersWEB.
Reprinting or reposting this article without prior consent of is strictly prohibited.
If you have questions, please visit our terms and conditions
Post Blog