Discussing how you can acquire referrals
is a frequent topic here on ProducersWEB. But what about after you’ve worked so hard to acquire those referrals? Do you have a process that ensures that you actually get in front of the prospect?
Below is a step-by-step referral process that I highly recommend. This strategy has been used to successfully convert referrals received into sales.
1. Referral is received from a client with name and contact information.
2. Within 24 hours, the advisor reaches out via phone/email to the referral to request a phone or in-person appointment
. This information is emailed to the advisor's assistant.
3. The assistant adds the new contact into the database. This person will be added to lists for events, etc.
4. The assistant prepares a referral note/gift to send to the person who referred. This should include a personal note from the advisor.
5. Within 24 hours after the advisor calls, the advisor's assistant calls to follow up and schedule a call/appointment. The assistant should call two times per week until the contact is reached. Here is a sample script for the assistant's call:
“Hi, I’m calling for [advisor name]. You were referred to us by [referrer name]. [Advisor name] said he reached out to you and is looking forward to talking for a few minutes. He asked me to follow up to see if I could get a quick call time scheduled for the two of you to make introductions. Would sometime next Tuesday work?”
6. The advisor calls the person who gave the referral (or sends an email) to thank the individual
, inform them of the process, the progress you are having reaching the person, etc. Make this call every week (or some regular and periodic amount of time) so that you are in front of the client involved, letting them know that you care about this and you are “on it.”
It is a simple process, but has been proven to work. What is your process to make sure you convert the referrals you have worked so hard to acquire?