Think of some of the top producers, or successful individuals in any business — you know who they are — and you will find people who have overcame their fears — fears that may still exist in the back of their minds.
Success doesn’t always come to the smartest person or the best looking person in the room. The one thing that keeps so many people from success
is fear. Fear can get in the way of success, and the lack of fear allows some people to move ahead of others.
The first thing you can do to in your attempt to overcome fear
is to understand that you have this fear and it is preventing you from having more success than you are enjoying now.
“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself” — Franklin Delano Roosevelt's inaugural address.
Facing and understanding your fears are the first thing required to move forward in business or in life. You are not alone. Many people fear success. They fear the telephone and meeting people, fear that they may not be “good enough,” fear that people may not like or respect them and on and on and on.
Think of some of the top producers, or successful individuals in any business — you know who they are — and you will find people who have overcome their fears
— fears that may still exist in the back of their minds.
Finding and speaking with positive people
helps. Find ways to have fun as you do business. That is a big help in overcoming fear and creating success. A belief in yourself and your products also helps.
One thing that gets many of us afraid is current events. Many of us consume a lot of news. This impacts how we feel, which can impact how we do our jobs. It sure adds a level of fear.
We might think that what is in the news today is so much worse than it has been before. Really?
Let’s look at a different period of time and see how similar it was to our own.
- March 1951 – Mohammed Mossadegh presents the idea of nationalization of the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company to the Iranian Parliament and it is eventually approved by the Iranian Parliament
- April 1951 – Mossadegh is elected as Iran’s new Prime Minister
- May 1951 – Britain imposes an embargo on Iranian oil and bans the exportation of goods to Iran in retaliation. Britain also mobilizes its navy as a show of force.
- June 1951 – The United States, under President Truman, tries to mediate the situation between Iran and Britain diplomatically, while Britain decides to take legal action against Iran in the International Court of Justice
- 1952 – Iran decides to sever diplomatic ties with Great Britain
Wow. The more things change, the more some things stay the same. There have always been major issues in the news that can impact our business, our family and our nation and world. OK, back then we did not have the Drudge Report, CNN, FOX News, 24 hour news and radio, or iPads and iPhones to give us news anytime we want it.
If the world around you is bothering you, get perspective
; consume a little less of it and remember: Your prospects still need your help, despite all of the scary items in the news.
In my business (long-term care insurance), perhaps the news is part of the reason consumers need to have a plan for the physical, emotional and financial burdens that long term care places on family and friends.
What about your business? What about your future in your business?
Don’t allow fear to defeat you. You can defeat fear.