Telemarketing can be an effective way to increase sales production. However, there is certainly an art to making this aggressive sales process work.
Cold calling is certainly challenging, but it continues to be one of the leading sales methods in closing high volumes of sales. So, it makes sense to learn how to make telemarketing work for your sales team.The secret to a successful telemarketing program is making contact. Let’s review a few sales tips that will get you started and yield some immediate success.
1. Don’t hide your company name. Today’s consumers are smart and most households have caller ID or don’t trust blocked calls anyway. If you are obscuring or blocking your number, you are probably losing deals. This also holds true for numbers that come up “unknown.” Consumers are far more likely to answer calls with an actual name and number on their caller ID display.
2. Supervise your call team. Many telemarketers are paid by the hour, not by the lead. This can lead to some gaming of your sales process. This compensation structure places little motivation to make actual sales. Auto-dialers or power-dialers may be one way to get around this problem. Closely monitoring your staff is important to success.
3. Use a quality lead source. Contact information is critical to contact rate. Make sure you are buying from a lead source that does some form of quality control. It is best to spend the extra money on leads that are scrubbed or validated in some way to minimize bad phone numbers. You will frustrate your call center reps if they are wasting their time chasing down wrong numbers. Many lead companies now offer periodic updates or lead verification services to products you purchase and this is a feature that should definitely be used.
4. Target your call campaigns. For example, specific areas of the nation have been hit harder by the mortgage crisis than others. If you are in the mortgage or debt business, focus on these areas and you are likely to get better contact results. You can use this technique for other industries and verticals by paying attention to trends and news.
5. Optimize call times. If you are trying to reach working people during the day, your contact rates are going to be very low, no matter how talented your telemarketing team is. Make sure you find a time that works, typically after dinner for most households, to get better conversions.
A recent study found Thursday evening to be best time to call, followed by Wednesday evening.These telemarketing call and contact tips will help you get more out of your lead investment and cold calling efforts.
While there is no perfect solution, focusing on a combination of sales techniques, you can build a strategy that will work for your company. Above all, recruit talented cold callers, find the right motivation for them, and keep them stocked with quality leads. With this combination, it’s very hard to go wrong.