If you feel that helping your high schooler navigate the difficult waters of choosing a college is akin to climbing K2, then you’re not alone. With the plethora of information and abundance of choices, evaluating colleges can feel more like plucking the proverbial needle from the haystack.
However, there are resources available to you as you embark on this journey. In her July 2011 Registered Rep article, Lynn O’ Shaughnessy outlines, “10 Great Websites to Evaluate Colleges.” As a father who has one son away at college and a daughter in middle school, I feel that her article could not have been more timely.
Here are the 10 sites Lynn names as great starting points in researching colleges (in no particular order).
- College Navigator - http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator
- MeritAid - www.meritaid.com
- College Board - www.collegeboard.org
- COLLEGEdata - www.collegedata.com
- College InSight - http://college-insight.org/
- Zinch - www.Zinch.com
- Cappex - www.Cappex.com
- College Week Live - www.collegeweeklive.com/
- Unigo - www.Unigo.com
- College Results Online - www.collegeresults.org
For the full article and a breakdown on the merits of each site, please click here
Know of any other great sites to evaluate colleges? Let us know in the comments section.