Discover 4 little secrets to generating many high-quality leads and appointmentsArticle added by Lew Nason RFC, LUTCF on November 28, 2012
Ranked: #2 (26,121 pts)
When are you going to take the time to learn the hundreds of little secrets that agents are using to make their careers easier, more fun and much more rewarding? These little secrets can make the difference between incredible success and total failure.
Just about every agent we've ever talked to is looking for a new and improved, fool-proof way of generating a steady stream of high-quality sales leads and appointments. They are looking for a new twist on an old idea, or something that has never been done before. What these agents don’t realize is there isn’t anything new out there. Everything that people can think of, with very rare exceptions, has already been tried. The reason most agents are having a problem with their prospecting systems isn’t because they don’t work; they are making little mistakes because they are missing the little secrets, the little tricks of the trade that are the difference between total success and total failure with these systems.
Let me give you an example. Most agents we talk to who are selling mortgage insurance are very frustrated with their current marketing and lead generation activities. They’ve tried buying leads, direct mail, asking for referrals, newspaper ads, free reports, phone dialers — and the list goes on. All they seem to get is people with health problems, or those who are shopping for price and want a free quote. The reasons most of these agents are having so much trouble generating high-quality leads for mortgage insurance is because they are missing the little secrets. They are struggling because they are making little mistakes like:
If you want to generate lots of leads for mortgage insurance, here are four of the little secrets most agents are missing:
- Believing prospecting is a numbers game.
- Trying to attract anyone who owns a home.
- Selling a commodity instead of a solution to a problem.
- Selling their products based on price instead of benefits.
- Trying to attract people who have never heard of them before.
- Chasing the wrong prospects.
Using these four little secrets (out of dozens), we’ve helped hundreds of agents go from earning $3,000 per month to earning $10,000 per month in a short amount of time.
Another example: Many agents are frustrated with doing educational workshops and dinner seminars because no one wants to set an appointment with them. Or, if they do set an appointment, the people cancel or just don’t show up. Agents will tell me that all they ever get are a bunch of "plate lickers," or all they get are people with no money. The people who come are too young, or too old, etc. They’ve tried several seminar presentations and none of them work in their area of the country. And, the list of complaints about the lack of appointments from educational workshops and dinner seminars goes on and on. These agents are missing the little secrets. They are struggling because they are making little mistakes, like:
- You must specialize. There are hundreds of agents in your immediate area that are selling mortgage insurance. Homeowners can buy insurance from their P&C agency or over the Internet. Why should they take their valuable time to meet with you? What is unique about you? What’s your hook? Can you specialize in helping families pay off their home five to 10 years early, to save thousands of mortgage interest payments? Can you show people how to get the mortgage insurance they need without taking any additional money out of their pockets
- You must determine who your ideal prospects are for mortgage insurance. While everyone who has a mortgage may need mortgage insurance, to whom do you have the best chance of selling? Who has the stronger need: a single person, a married couple or someone who is married and has young children at home? Is there a minimum or maximum income? Minimum and maximum value of the home? Remember, we are talking about consistently being in front of the people who you have the best chance of selling.
- You must help people to see and understand the problems they face. You must learn the right questions to ask, so people see and understand the depth of their problem, and then you help them to see that you have a solution to their problem. People don’t buy what they need. They buy what they want. So, if you want them to buy today, you have to help them to make their need a priority so they want to take action today.
- You must learn how to get referrals. You must make yourself referable. In most cases, people are not going to refer a salesperson to their friends and family. However, they will refer an advisor — someone they trust, someone who provides a valuable service. You must stay in constant contact with your clients, prospects, friends, family and everyone you know. "Out of sight, out of mind" is a deadly mistake for any salesperson. Why would people refer you if they never hear from you, remember who you are, or what you do? You must be in constant contact with your clients through annual reviews, monthly newsletters and free educational workshops.
If you want to set lots of appointments from your workshop or dinner seminar, here are four of the little secrets most agents are missing:
- Talking over their attendee’s heads.
- Using too much technical jargon during their seminar presentations.
- Trying to educate their attendee, instead of giving them just enough information so they want to learn more.
- Not getting the attendee to see how the information relates to their specific situation.
Using just these four little secrets, we’ve helped hundreds of agents go from a 10 percent to 20 percent appointment rate to an 80 percent to 90 percent appointment rate at their very next workshop or seminar. If you want to improve your marketing, prospecting, appointment setting and closing ratios, it’s not one big change that will make the difference; it’s a series of little changes. When are you going to take the time to learn the hundreds of little secrets that agents are using to make their careers easier, more fun and much more rewarding? These little secrets can make the difference between incredible success and total failure.
- You must speak at a sixth grade level. Then, even the college professors will understand you. If your seminar attendees are even a little bit confused, or they don’t understand what you are talking about, then why would they want to meet with you?
- You must ask questions during your seminar to get them emotionally involved and help them to see how the information relates to their unique situation. Why would they want to meet with you if they don’t see how they’ll benefit?
- You never ask for the appointment, you give them an opportunity to meet with you. It’s a very subtle, but will translate into a huge difference in the amount of appointments you’ll set at your seminar.
- You must set as many appointments as you can right at the seminar. The longer you wait, the less enthusiasm the attendees will have about what you talked about, the harder it will be to contact them, etc. You must visit with everyone after your presentation, and thank him or her for coming, ask them how they felt about the seminar, etc.
The views expressed here are those of the author and not necessarily those of ProducersWEB.
Reprinting or reposting this article without prior consent of Producersweb.com is strictly prohibited.
If you have questions, please visit our terms and conditions