Covered California starts producer preregistrationNews added by Benefits Pro on August 9, 2013

Benefits Pro

Joined: September 07, 2011

My Company

By Allison Bell

Covered California, the agency running the state's public exchange, has opened preregistration for agents who want to sell its coverage.

Agents can sign up for training here.

Consumers and eligible small business owners will be able to buy coverage directly through the exchange website. Navigators and other types of non-licensed helpers will be able to give general advice about how the exchange works. But only licensed agents will be able to get the training and certification needed to recommend and sell specific individual or small-group plans, officials say.

To get the Covered California Certified Insurance Agent designation, an agent must have a valid California Accident and Health Agent license and carry what the exchange believes to be adequate errors and omissions insurance coverage.

The exchange does not expect computer-based training to be available until November. Agents who want to get certified by Oct. 1, in time for the scheduled exchange start date, will have to attend in-person classes. The classes are set to start the first week of September, officials said in an online handout.

The exchange is working to get the exchange course certified as a California Department of Insurance continuing education course.

Originally published on
The views expressed here are those of the author and not necessarily those of ProducersWEB.
Reprinting or reposting this article without prior consent of is strictly prohibited.
If you have questions, please visit our terms and conditions
Post Press Release