The third secret to closing nine out of 10 sales
By Lew Nason
Insurance Pro Shop
The third and final article in this series provides the last secret to help producers close more sales.
In the previous two articles in this series, I discussed the first two critical secrets to closing 9 out of 10 sales.
1. Helping your prospects to identify and discuss their problems — If your prospects don’t see they have a problem or understand how you can help them, is there any reason for them to meet with you or take any action?
2. Helping your prospects find the money to get what they need and truly want — Would you agree that the biggest obstacle to the sale is people don’t have any extra money? So, if you want your prospects to take action, then you must help them to find the money.
The third secret to closing 9 out of 10 sales is making the buying decision easy for your prospects. This is probably the most critical secret. Most agents, advisors and planners overwhelm their prospects during the initial meetings, so they continually hear, “I need to think about it.”
If you want to start closing more sales, you must determine the easiest way to make your prospect a client. Ask yourself: What's the first and easiest problem I can solve for them? Consider, almost every person these days has a very short-term perspective on life. The only thing your prospects really want to buy is something that will satisfy an immediate need.
Additionally, if you confuse the prospect, give them too much technical information, or ask them to make too many decisions, you'll have trouble closing the sale. So don't get greedy and don't try to solve all of their problems right now — it's generally too overwhelming for the prospect. You can and will make more sales later, if you help them to solve a pressing problem right now.
Remember, it's much easier to sell to a client (someone who has already bought from you) than it is to sell a prospect, so make them a client first.
In my first year selling insurance I didn't know much, so I was forced to keep it really simple. At the time I didn't realize that I had stumbled on a primary insurance sales success strategy. It worked though, so I've kept it simple ever since.
Make the buying decision easy for your prospects and you’ll start closing more sales.
Let's Recap the three secrets to closing 9 out of 10 sales:
1. Help your prospects to identify and discuss their problems
2. Help them find the money to get what they need and truly want
3. Find the easiest way to make them a client