20 fundamentals to help you become a top producer
By Lew Nason
Insurance Pro Shop
We hear it all the time. Agents and advisors want to know the most important key to a top producer's success. They are thinking the answer must be something like a magical new product, a great new sales idea or an innovative new marketing strategy.
However, their jaws drop when they learn the truth.
Consider, a group of NFL players are getting ready for their first preseason game. No doubt they're working on complicated new plays, precise new patterns and lightning speed flea-flickers in preparation for opening kickoff. But guess what these teams are spending most of their time on? They are mastering the fundamentals of the game: blocking and tackling.
Like the NFL players, a top producer's success is directly tied to their ability to focus on the fundamentals — the daily blocking and tackling that every producer must master to become a winner in their field.
Are you spending your time in the wrong places? Are you your own worst enemy?
”Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals."
— Jim Rohn
If you truly want to earn the money you are capable of earning, then you must spend the time to learn and master the fundamentals of marketing, lead generation and sales skills.
And yes, I know you are busy. There are not enough minutes in the day. You are working with more demands and less resources. And, the worst part is your company does not provide any additional marketing, lead generation or sales training.
However, you are the only one who determines your success. You are responsible for your own self improvement and professional development, first and foremost. If you truly want to succeed, then stop focusing on products, sales ideas and quick fixes. Instead, take the time to learn and master the fundamentals of sales.
Learn the fundamentals of the game and stick to them. Band-Aid remedies never last.” Here are 20 fundamentals of marketing, lead generation and sales success to help you get started:
1. Your attitude determines your sales success or failure.
2. Make a sale and you will make a living. Sell a relationship and you can make a fortune.
3. People buy when they are ready to buy, not when you’re ready to sell. So, keep in touch.
4. When you sell price, you rent the business. When you sell value, you own it.
5. Ask enough questions and your prospect will tell you exactly what you need to do to sell them.
6. There is a time to sell and a time to prospect. Don't confuse them.
7. Selling is not a transaction but an opportunity to develop successful lasting relationships.
8. People buy from those they trust.
9. If people want to do business together, they won't let the details get in the way. If people don't want to do business together, any detail will get in the way.
10. Time is your most important asset in selling. Use it wisely.
11. You don't turn poor prospects into customers with good products, sales presentations or closing techniques.
12. Promise a lot and deliver more.
13. If you want to sell more every year, get better every year.
14. Sell value and don't defend price.
15. Don't make commitments you can't honor or control.
16. The close of the sale begins when the prospect agrees to see you.
17. Never give up control of the sales process.
18. People buy emotionally and justify their decisions logically.
19. Never project your buying prejudices into the sales process.
20. Never stop learning!