Should you become a decision strategist?
By Ernest Falkner III
Zillion Dollar Thinking
There are many ways to break down the word "strategist."
Strategists by category:
Strategist: (def.) from: strat•e•gy noun \-jē\: a variety of or instance of the use of strategy: a careful plan or method: a clever stratagem: the art of devising or employing plans or stratagems toward a goal: the science and art of employing the political, economic, psychological, and military forces of a nation or group of nations to afford the maximum support to adopted policies in peace or war (2): the science and art of military command exercised to meet the enemy in combat under advantageous conditions
Noun 1. various strategies:
- game plan; a carefully thought out strategy for achieving an objective in war, politics, business or personal affairs
- a proactive strategy intended to prevent a counter strategy
- bubble strategy; a speculative scheme that depends on unstable factors that the planner cannot control; re: "a real estate bubble"
- playbook; a scheme or set of written and mapped strategies for conducting a business, political or personal campaign (large volume app)
- plot, secret plan, game; a secret scheme to do something
- waiting game; a strategy of delay (example: Iran)
- incentive scheme; a formal scheme for inducing someone (as employees) to do something (can involve herd mentality — like voting)
When weighing the comparative value of an accurate, planned and actionable decision against simply throwing money and general resources at a problem, what wins every time?
Look around: BP; record debt at every level; Congressional trust level; divorce statistics; on and on — all decision based. Could there be a more important position than a “decision strategist?”
Take away and paradigm shift:
What if you were appointed to this job? Would you become more objective than you are today? What if we simply appointed ourselves as a “decision strategist” right where we sit? Any changes? How much more value added would you look to your clients and prospects? Could that position be “dollarized?” If you could sell decisions, what would that be worth?
Political strategy: A decision czar?