On ProducersWEB, I typically cover the strategical elements of social media marketing — analytics, ROI, compliance, etc. In this blog, however, I am taking a lighthearted shift to convey how humor can be used to entertain your audience on social media. Believe it or not, many people love social media for the humorous, entertaining aspects. In fact, Social Media Examiner states, “even if you’re a more serious brand, don’t forget to lighten up every once in a while with a humorous post.” Today, I invite you to sit back, have a laugh and get some ideas of how you can integrate humor and wit into your posts with these nine examples.
1. A sandwich named Kevin: There is always that one person in the office that eats the first thing that meets his/her eyes. Luckily, I am that person, so I am perfectly qualified in calling out these scavengers! This is by far my favorite YourECard. For more funny ecards, click here.
2. Financial advisor meme: There is a meme for just about everything these days. Here is the best one I’ve come across for financial advisors. In this case, I agree with your parents the most. What is a meme? An image, video, etc. that is passed electronically from one Internet user to another.
3. 20 Infomercial .gifs that prove life is really hard: I used to quietly think infomercial actors were some of the most incompetent people on the planet. Come to find out, I am not the only one that thought this! Check out this awesome article with a collection of knee-slapping gifs. What is a gif? A popular format for image files, with built-in data compression.
See the funny infomercial .gifs here.
4. Toothpaste Oreo prank: Did you play any successful pranks on people this past April Fools Day? Regardless, social media is a great place to leverage holidays to get more traction, tweets and likes. Be wary of your Oreos!
5. Clever way to talent search: While this is not your typical gut buster, it’s a clever and witty way to promote news and upcoming events. Next time you’re getting ready to post something generic, brainstorm how you can make it more entertaining and witty.
6. Dwights Beets: Did you know that Dwight (a character on NBC's The Office) sold 70 percent more beets online this year because of inbound marketing? True story. Playing on pop-culture is a great way to engage a wide, diverse audience.
7. The difference between a fiduciary and a broker video: High Tower Advisors created a clever, animated demonstration of the difference between a fiduciary and a broker. Do you have prospects that could use a fun, illustrative video to demonstrate a confusing concept?
8. Quotes: “The safest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it in your pocket.” – Kin Hubbard. Quotes are a simple way to engage your audience without much glitz and glam. Who doesn’t love a good quote every once in a while? Many of our clients post both humorous and thought-provoking quotes on a frequent basis.
9. Google-Facebook mix up: I thought this one was pretty funny, though there is no strategy behind it. Moral of the story? When Googling something, make sure you are on Google, not Facebook. Just a little word of advice.