New York exchange officially named
By Allison Bell
Managers of the New York Health Benefit Exchange unveiled the official name of their insurance store — New York State of Health: The Official Health Plan Marketplace — Tuesday during a live webcast.
Donna Frescatore, the executive director of the exchange, also included the names of the final exchange plan menu.
The "qualified health plan" menu will include the state's Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans, including a unit of WellPoint Inc., two units of UnitedHealth Group Inc., and Freelancers Co-Op. The QHP menu does not include plans from Aetna Inc. or Cigna Corp.
The list of dental plan providers includes units of Delta Dental, Guardian, MetLife and WellPoint's Empire BlueCross and Empire Blue Cross BlueShield units.
Leo Mamorsky, an executive group account director at DDB, the agency that helped the exchange develop its name and logo, said the name team wanted to pick a name that would represent a "spark for positive change."
Exchange managers introduced the name with a video featuring shots of the Empire State Building, the new One World Trade Center tower and the Brooklyn Bridge.
In other exchange news:
- The Maryland Health Benefit Exchange has posted a presentation showing how the Maryland Health Connection will work with third party administrators, or independent benefit plan administrators.
TPAs that want to serve Maryland Small Business Health Options Program exchange customers must get certified by the exchange, officials said.
TPAs can help employers and their employees compare and pick SHOP plans, administer enrollment and eligibility changes, and handle premium billing and collections.
TPAs can choose whether they want to provide SHOP alternative online marketplace and back office services, just SHOP back office administrative services, or just SHOP online administrative services.
- America's Health Insurance, a large health insurance agency, said it intends to get all of its agents trained and certified to sell public exchange plans. The company itself is in training to become a registered and certified agent for the exchange program, the company said.
- Several state agencies have posted exchange registration information for health insurance agents and brokers.
- The Missouri Department of Insurance
- Nevada Health Link
- The Wisconsin Office of the Insurance Commissioner