Stay on track during the Medicare annual enrollment period
By Precision Senior Marketing
Precision Senior Marketing
Just a reminder, the annual enrollment period has been moved up this year and started Oct. 15 and goes through Dec. 7. During this time your clients will be able to switch their Medicare plans, effective Jan. 1, 2012.
Make sure you are prepared to meet their needs and the demands at the height of the season. Following are a few tips to keep you on track during AEP:
- Make sure your certifications are up-to-date for 2012. With Medicare Advantage plans you need to certify every year. With the exception of United Healthcare, there are no required certifications for standardized Medicare Supplement product.
- Electronic applications. E-apps are also available with various Medicare Supplement products. Electronic applications are available around the clock and allow for less mistakes and quicker processing times.
- Underwriting. When not using an electronic application, it is vitally important that you are very thorough in your field underwriting with paper applications. These apps are getting a bit more complex every year and with the volume of sales that come through during this period, nothing will delay your issue times more than submitting incomplete applications. This bogs your business down, frustrates your clients and prevents you from utilizing time spent cleaning up apps to prospect for new clients.
- Identify the best rates. Several companies took increases in multiple states in the past few
months. Plan ahead and check out which company has the most affordable rates in the areas you plan to prospect.
- Distribute marketing materials. Senior centers, churches and other public spaces where seniors often go in your community are wonderful places to put some of your personalized brochures. These have your name and number and offer additional information to educate interested seniors. You can also mail lead cards using a very affordable mailing list generated from USA Data.
- Request referrals. Now is the ideal time to see if your happy clients know anyone going through the AEP season. They might have friends and family who are confused and overwhelmed, looking for an agent who can help educate them on the best plans for their health and economic means. Don’t miss out on this opportunity.