21 questions your advisor website needs to answer (fast!)
By Maggie Crowley
Financial advisor websites are one of the most essential tools for professionals in the financial industry. While your advisor website can be used for many different purposes, deciding how to use it should be part of the foundation of your firm’s marketing strategy. You can bet that your target market is looking for you online. Make sure they find you, as well as find answers to all of their questions about your firm.
So, what do people do on the Internet? The majority of Web users are online seeking information about any given topic. To give your website a chance, focus on its visitors' intentions. What information are they looking for, and how can you help them find it? Focus on making your website easily navigable and chock-full of answers.
Most advisors feel they need a website to validate their firm and provide legitimacy to the organization — and that’s true! But when visitors arrive to your company’s site, they’ll want to know more than whether or not you exist. In fact, they’ll want to know a lot more. Many of these questions are answered within the subconscious ("Is this company good or bad? Trustworthy? Credible?").
It’s equally as important to note that a large portion of these questions are answered rather quickly. Carlton University (Ottawa, Canada) professor, Gitte Lindgaard, asked just how quickly people form an impression of companies based on their website. In 2012, the research team discovered that people decide about the appeal of a website in only 50 milliseconds (that’s 50/1000 of one second).
The bottom line is that advisors have very little time to win over Web visitors. Below is a list of 21 questions that Web visitors want answered when they arrive to your advisor website. Make sure answers to these questions can be found easily and quickly. A good rule of thumb is to have answers to the following questions answered within three clicks of entering your site.
- Am I in the right place?
- Is this company real?
- Is it credible?
- Is this website up-to-date?
- Is it trustworthy? And why should I trust the people that work here?
- Is this a professional company?
- Is this company stable?
- Does this site make me feel welcome?
- Is the navigation easy to find?
- Can I find the information I’m looking for?
- Is this company affiliated with other financial institutions?
- Do you have a physical location? Where is it?
- How many people work here?
- What is the company culture like?
- How is this firm different than the last firm I looked into?
- What is it like to work with your company?
- How do other people feel about this company?
- Why should I spend money here?
- How can you help me?
- I’m not ready to make a decision, but I want to stay in touch. Can I subscribe to a blog or newsletter?
- What should I do next?